Wednesday 26 June 2013

CF Week 2013: Mike's Blog

Mike Mackay, from Witham, Essex, is living life to the full after transplant.





Mike here, I hope you are enjoying CF Week this year, my film is available to watch now.

When I was younger, I decided that a transplant wasn't for me; it seemed like a lot of “hassle” to go through. Yet, when the time came, it was something I wanted more than anything in the world. The more I began to struggle, the more I wanted it. Only I never ultimately knew whether I would have one or not...

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be here now, writing this. I've known many who haven't been so lucky and I feel it's only right that I make the most of this second chance at life. Before my transplant I was wheelchair bound, eventually bed-bound on a ventilator; I wasn't really living but just existing. I thought my time was up - I never thought I'd be doing silly things like completing the London Marathon or working in a full time job. In September I'll be climbing Ben Nevis to celebrate my sixth transplant anniversary. All of these achievements highlight just how much a transplant can change a life.

Without the generosity of my donor, none of this would be possible. Without donors, many people representing CF Week this year wouldn't be here. Organ donation is so important and the work the Cystic Fibrosis Trust does reflects that.

Without people like you, there wouldn't be people like me.

www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/cfweek

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Martha and I am currently writing a 5000 word essay on living with CF, I hope this isn't too forward of me but and I'm really interested in getting people doing just that to answer a couple of questions for me.
    I have a survey at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FW2ZBFZ and it would be super great. All the questions are completely optional and confidential, and there is a full disclaimer on the first page of the survey before answering any questions.
    I would love for you to be able to help me, no worries if not! Any questions feel free to direct them to my facebook - www.facebook.com/sheepy06

    Thanks so much in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete