Thursday, 12 November 2015

Precision Medicines - Why?

Precision medicine is the talk of today, with a cancer drugs fund for Wales in the news and our own 'Stopping The Clock' campaign launching, calling for fair and prompt access to precision medicine for people with cystic fibrosis.

But what is 'precision medicine' and why does it matter? Dr Janet Allen, Director of Strategic Innovation, digs deeper.

On 20 January 2015, President Obama made this announcement in his State of the Union address to the US nation: 

“Tonight, I’m launching a new Precision Medicine Initiative to bring us closer to curing diseases like cancer and diabetes – and to give all of us access to the personalised information we need to keep ourselves and our families healthier.”

This was an exciting, bold statement that frames the future of treatments where individuals are treated as individuals. Recently Francis Collins, Director of the USA National Institute of Health, gave his vision of how this will be delivered, at the Faster Cures conference at the Milken Institute (pictured). He described the programme as “big, hairy and audacious – and so it should be.” 

Dr Collins argued that the time is right to do this mainly as a result of technologies coming together that will be able to inform treatments; for example genomics, environmental effects, personal wearable sensor technology. In the past, new treatments were approved based on the law of averages. For instance, how does this treatment lower the average person’s cholesterol compared to no treatment?

We need to move away from this to a state where the right drug is given to the right patient at the right time to achieve the right effect. 

This is the aim of precision medicine; we need to convert our thinking on how to keep people healthy and not see healthcare as only having a role in treating ill-health. A key component in the development of precision medicine is to engage with people as equal partners and not as subjects for study. This thinking will transform the way we do scientific research and is already creating the concept of ‘citizen scientists’. All of this will not happen overnight but the very mention of precision medicine in the State of the Union address creates momentum and it is clear that the National Institutes of Health are up for the challenge and ready. 

If you think that precision medicine is only for the ‘big’ conditions such as heart disease and cancer, see the extended quote from the State of the Union address: “21st century businesses will rely on American science, technology, research and development. I want the country that eliminated polio and mapped the human genome to lead a new era of medicine – one that delivers the right treatment at the right time. In some patients with cystic fibrosis, this approach has reversed a disease once thought unstoppable.” 

These are truly interesting and exciting times and we need to ensure that cystic fibrosis remains in the vanguard of developing precision medicine to benefit each and every individual with the condition. This is audacious but that shouldn’t stop us. As another speaker said:

·         Don’t let perfection be the enemy of good.

·         Don’t be afraid of getting started.

·         Don’t be afraid to learn.

Find out more about our 'Stopping The Clock' campaign at www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/stopping.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, my girlfriend of a year had a bit broke up with me and went back to her EX-boyfriend. She said our relationship lacked the conversation piece because am a very quiet person and she don't feel loved by me. I felt heart broken and it affected me that i couldn't concentrate properly at my place of work for i very much loved her and need to get her back and my last chance was getting a love spell. I entered on the website http://doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple.webs.com and made contact with the Doctor for i read that he has a lot of positive feedback with his spells. I’m not disappointed because my lover came back to me within 24 hours after getting a love spell from the Doctor called Osemu Okpamen. We are happy couples now and if you need any kind of help, Email him on ( doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com or whats-app +2348135254384 ). Michael Snapp, +1 (305) 647-6660 USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREETINGS everyone out there.. My name is Sarah Gomez FROM CANADA i will never forget the help Prophet Ayelala rendered to me in my marital life. i have been married for 5 years now and my husband and i love each other very dearly . after 3 years of our marriage my husband suddenly change he was having an affair with a lady outside,i notice it then i was praying for divine intervention the thing became more serious i told my pastor about it we prayed but nothing happen. my husband just came home one day he pick up his things and left me and the kids to his mistress outside at this time i was confuse not knowing what to do again because i have lost my husband and my marriage too. i was searching for help in the internet, i saw many people sharing testimony on how Prophet Ayelala help them out with their marital problems so i contacted the email of Prophet Ayelala i told him my problem and i was told to be calm that i have come to the right place were i can get back my husband within the next 24hours. He told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happen.that they will restored my marriage. to my greatest surprise my husband came to my office begging me on his knees that i should find a place in my heart to forgive him,that he will never cheat on me again. i quickly ask him up that i have forgiven him.friends your case is not too hard why don't you give Prophet Ayelala a try they work surprises because i know they will help you to fix your relationship with your ex partner. i thank god for using Prophet Ayelala to save my marriage. Contact him via Email: ( Ayelala7demons@gmail.com ) Or Reach him on whatsapp: +2347031894318

    ReplyDelete

  3. I am Bob Odia i want to say a big thanks to Pa Oba who brought back my wife after she divorced me two years ago, i love this woman so much because she is the mother of my kids and i love her so much, but I never knew what came over her that made her thinks that i was cheating on her, so she asked for divorce, but i want to give a big appreciations to the great Pa Oba who brought her back to my life, and now myself and my wife and kids are living happily like never before, so i want you people to thank Pa Oba for helping me.
    If you are have any problem and you are confused and you do not know what to do, just try Pa Oba and contact him on obastarspell@gmail.com or visit http://obastarspell.webs.com for more info he can help you out of that your problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am Sheryln Coleman I’m the most happiest person on the face of the earth, after 6 months of sadness and sorrow without being with the one i love, i tried all my possible best to make sure i make my lover happy but it never seems to work out well it was like am doing everything in vain but all thanks goes to Dr Osinbajor for coming to change all my worries and sadness to Joy. i knew the great man when i read some wonderful testimony about Dr Osinbajor how he has helped lots of people on their relationship problems i was reading a magazine when i saw great testimonies, as well my predicament then i decided not to waste time because i have missed my lover so much i decided to contact him and share all my problem with him which he told me not to worry that he is assuring me that within 48 hours everything would be sorted out i believed Dr Osinbajor‎ so much because of how he has been helping many people, my boyfriend who left me for good suddenly replied my text and returned my calls and asked me to please forgive him i was so happy am so grateful to Dr Osinbajor for what he has done for me and I promise to testify his goodness all through my life. If you are there passing the same problem or any kinds of problem contact this great man on his email address: osinbajorbabatunde@gmail.com‎
    1. Getting your lover or husband back
    2. Money spell/ good luck spell
    3. If you can’t satisfy your partner 
    4. Weight loss spell
    5. Get a job spell
    6. Promotion spells
    7. Getting your money back
    8. Freedom spells
    9. Love spell
    10. Avenging spell
    11. Lottery spell ‎

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited a forum here on the internet on the 17 APRIL 2016, and i saw a marvelous testimony of Tracie Aldana from United States on the forum about the good works DR OSEMU. I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until DR OSEMU did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my divorced wife just as i read on the internet. Am Brooklyn Gray from USA. I was truly shocked when my wife knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept her back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to DR OSEMU. For his a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of marriage. Contact him now for any kind or help via Email: Doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com, website: www.doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple@webs.com OR call and whats App him on +2348135254384. You can text or call me also for more inquiries +1 (914)-902-7078.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. Ogudugu of OGUDUGU TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.Ogudugu help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact DR. OGUDUGU TEMPLE through these details via;
    (GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM) or call him on (+2348142250751).

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless Dr.Edion for his marvelous work in my life, I was separate with my husband for the pass 3 year now and I wasn't satisfied i needed to get my husband back because the life of loneliness was so terrible for me and my 2 kids I searched about some possible spell caster that can bring back lover and i then come across Dr. Edion i saw a comment about Dr.Edion,how he bring lovers together with his spell caster I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my spell he ask for some information which i sent to him and also told some few things to do, after 48 hours my husband call me and start bagging me for forgiveness for all that happens i am so happy right now that we are back again as one family. If you are in the same situation right now and you don't know what to do or where to go, you can contact Dr. Edion today on ediontempl@gmail.com he can help you out of that you situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God bless Dr.Edion for his marvelous work in my life, I was separate with my husband for the pass 3 year now and I wasn't satisfied i needed to get my husband back because the life of loneliness was so terrible for me and my 2 kids I searched about some possible spell caster that can bring back lover and i then come across Dr. Edion i saw a comment about Dr.Edion,how he bring lovers together with his spell caster I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my spell he ask for some information which i sent to him and also told some few things to do, after 48 hours my husband call me and start bagging me for forgiveness for all that happens i am so happy right now that we are back again as one family. If you are in the same situation right now and you don't know what to do or where to go, you can contact Dr. Edion today on ediontempl@gmail.com he can help you out of that you situation.

    ReplyDelete